Thursday, July 7, 2011

So speaking of the weather...


Ran into this one today. We're still feeling miffed at Ma Nature for the tornado hit, followed a week later by heavy straight-line winds that knocked down a few more trees, including some quite valuable ones.

So, with weather on the mind, I took a look when the teaser about a "Phoenix haboob" popped up. Haboob being an Arabic derived word for a big duststorm.

This is a fabulous video. Particularly if you're in an apocalyptic mind frame. I recommend full screen.

The Phoenix Haboob of July 5th, 2011 from Mike Olbinski on Vimeo.

I've always considered there were many reasons not to live in Phoenix (lack of water, for example) - but this pretty much makes it certain I'll not be moving there. :-)

Apparently these things are not exactly uncommon there- it's just not featured on any of their tourist info or Chamber of Commerce hand outs.


3 comments:

J.J. said...

I used to live in Phoenix, and things like that are so common that nobody bothers to talk about them - unless it's joking that your car came out of the thunderstorm more muddy than it started.

knutty knitter said...

The desert climate I grew up in never had THOSE! I bet that dust gets into everything.

Speaking of weather - we finally got a skiff of snow on the tops. Not nearly enough to be useful though and my bulbs think its Spring. Not useful.

viv in nz

Greenpa said...

Knutty Viv - don't tell me you've got a drought in New Zealand?? I'd hardly have thought it possible, surrounded by the South Pacific.