Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Denialoons...

Super quickie. Just wanted to let the world know I am unleashing a new neologism (sick).

Just hit me as I was composing scathing reposts to the paid deniers over on Richard Black's BBC environment blog.

Unfortunately, the blog is infested with obvious paid deniers/disruptors (obvious if you're trained in spotting them), and it's sad because there are people there trying to discuss and learn. If not blocked, they will eventually succeed in castrating the blog, just as happened to Andy Revkin's "Dot Earth" on the NYT.

Anyway. I'd recently described an organization I know as "an addled loon egg", and may have been heard to comment how glad I am to know that loons are not endangered, in some venues...

And the words just came together. Denial. Loon.

Oh, the fit is perfect, and "denialoon" sounds to me like what is known in the marketing biz as a "sticky" word. It's memorable; and can get around.

So; a little boxing, from me. Denialoons is what they are; and will always be. Much stickier than "flat-earther".

Pass it around! :-)

ps - well, pooh. A quick google, done after writing the above, shows that one other person has put this together, before me. But, they made no effort to launch it. I wanna launch it; good epithets can have legs, or wings, in this case...

8 comments:

Aimee said...

I like it. I'm going to use it on my brother.

Sharlene T. said...

Excellent... Don't care if someone else was playing around... You've decided to do something about it... Love Denialoons... Good word... Says it all... Thank you... Come visit when you can...

Don Plummer said...

Although I like the term, we have to recognize that it's insulting--to the loons.

:-)

knutty knitter said...

Whooo hooo! A new term for idiots :) I find it incredibly difficult to bash against brick walls so denialoons it is.

Although it is a bit sad for the real loons.

viv in nz

robertguyton said...

I've just now been alerted to the existence of your engaging blog and have posted the link in a short piece about 'denialoons' on my own blog:
http://robertguyton.blogspot.com/
I like what you are doing here and will read you regularly. I'm in New Zealand btw and am involved in a lot of things that might interest you. I especially enjoyed your post on the 'old tools' and have many myself, all being used here in and around my 'wilderness garden'.
Robert

Debbie said...

So glad you are feeling better and BACK!!!!

umaperegrina said...

Greenpa,
Sorry to post off-topic here, but see by your notes that it's the only way to contact you. Just wondered if you are involved in the Stoneleigh presentation at the CURE office. I plan to attend and hope to say hi.
I can be emailed at Umaperegrina at the yahoo domain.

Greenpa said...

Uma- alas, I don't expect to be able to attend. 3 hour drive each way, and still running hard with harvest...